Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Gardening

My Garden



We've had some ups and downs this year. As you can see the tomatoes are up, as well as the green beans. However, some mysterious force is causing my squash plants to grow everywhere and then just die. Stupid squash plants. Right now the yellow squash is on it's way out and the watermelon is taking over the rest of the garden. In a few weeks it'll die and I'll have to hope all the ones I planted in pots on the front porch do well.

I'm also setting up a new outline with different bricks. (I warned you all dull life, this is what I do) I've taken the others and will use them to outline the bushes in the back and one the side, I'm hoping that will help keep the mulch in. So the outline you see here is gone.

Actually, this whole side picture of the garden is different. Bottom left are yellow onions. I took the old bricks and outlined the onion area and added more soil. I have no idea if we'll actually get onions, but it's the one thing we use a lot of, so I figured it was worth the try. On the right side are the green beans with the tomatoes behind them. The tomatoes love the heat, the beans, not so much.

Behind the onions are a strawberry plant, that was moved into a pot. Stupid slugs kept eating my strawberries. I moved it a week ago and so far me and the puppy have both gotten a strawberry, so it's going well. Behind that are the radishes, which also didn't grow any radishes, just leaves. The hamsters liked the leaves, but they like greenbeans too and I have more of those. I pulled all this up and put in some more yellow onions(whose top parts are also doing well, but I see no evidence of actual onions yet)


Garden now.

See the new wall. More room for dirt, which is good because it's just clay 6 inches down and nothing can grow through it. However, I do have earthworms. Zillions of them. Really. Which means all the birds in a ten mile radius visit my garden to feast. Which gives Zoey something to do. Stupid birds, landing in her garden! If she can't go in there then neither can they! (Notice the black specks on the bricks? Yep bird poo)

My garden is not doing tremendously well, but it is managing. The cherry tomatoes are doing well and favored with Zoey and I as an afternoon treat. We go out after we get home and split them. The green peppers are finally showing something and I've totally given up on the corn, the firat set died of heat, the second I dug up half of to get the new edging in. Oh well, the garden will be ready for my efforts next year.

Also, just a quick picture of my beans. I'm generally trying to pick them before this stage, but they escape notice every once in a while(or triple in size overnight) Not that I have a problem with large green beans, but we're already getting too many of them. This is the one thing that is producing money saving veggies that Brad will eat. WOOHOO!

No comments: